Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Soaking in some heritage

History has shown us that man reacts the same way when confronted with certain aspects of life. Things they fear, things they don’t understand, things they disagree with – all end up dead. Man kills em. And since I had a whole day off from work, I too turned to my most basic human instinct to kill. Time, that is.

A friend invited me to go to a trip to the Cheong Fatt Sze mansion and I agreed. This famous and huge mansion located in Penang is supposedly built by a renowned Chinese figure. In it, houses many antiquities as well as history. Surprisingly, born in Penang and living here for the past 30 years, I have never heard of Cheong Fatt Sze nor of his mansion. Kinda makes me wonder is it really that famous? Either that or have I been drunk most of my life?




The entrance to the mansion















The mansion.








Anyway, we got ourselves there and paid the RM12 ticket for the tour. The outside of the mansion looked kinda like my grandmother’s home, but a hell lot bigger. Being a local Chinese myself, I wasn’t really impressed. Not with the outer architecture anyway.





Free bookmarks. Now I can use it to mark my pages if I decide to read a book. Yeah right.







We made our way in and saw a group of tourists huddled around an old overweight lady. She was the tour guide. She was yapping away on who Cheong Fatt Sze was and how after his death the fortune he amassed was squandered away by his children. There’s a lesson to be learnt here; spend your money before you die or people will spend it for you.

As she was talking about history, those who are less attracted on the past and more interested in the present started to wonder around. Then suddenly, the overweight tour guide aunty (OTGA in short) somewhat shrieked at them about not being allowed to roam around. She said that the mansion is a private property and we are merely visitors. Also, we are not allowed to take pictures of the inside. WTF? No pictures? Do they think we have photographic memory? Or are they afraid that people will renovate their houses to look like my grandmother’s?

Apparently, OTGA says that it is impolite to take pictures of the inside of other people’s homes. Just like you wouldn’t want someone to take pictures of yours. Well lady, I don’t charge people twelve bucks to come into mine and if I did, I won’t mind them taking pictures. Heck, I would even pose for them.

Furthermore she says that there are sophisticated and sensitive electronic equipments around. Yeah right - My DVD player has more electronic components than what is needed to run this place.

Back to the tour. After about twenty minutes of story telling, we were brought to the courtyard just behind the entrance. Here we listened to Feng Shui tips. (I know all the Feng Shui I need to know. Money, good. No money, no good.) Apparently, the drainage system at the courtyard twirls around the mansion through underground pipes before being flushed out slowly. How much truth in this is anybody’s guess, unless you have x-ray vision. And If I had x-ray vision, I certainly would not be wasting it by looking at underground piping of some old house. There are many many other things which I would rather look at if you know what I mean.

Ironically, even with all the Feng Shui practiced, Cheong Fatt Sze’s family actually went broke after his death. Guess the “chi” tree isn’t like an apple tree. The fruit does fall far from the tree.




Picture of the courtyard. My friend's camera accidentally took a shot of it.












View of the courtyard from upstairs. My friend really need to repair her camera.






We proceeded further (like about 10 feet) to a place I call the picture gallery. Here there are a few photographs, and the main attraction was of the 7th wife of Cheong Fatt Sze. The wife he loved the most. OTGA informed us that he had eight wives altogether. Well, at least the guy knows how to have fun. But does this mean he will also have eight times more headaches than most men? At that moment, I had mixed feelings of envy and pity for him.

After that we were brought upstairs and on the way up, I saw an Ang Moh stole a few shots with his camera. Unlucky for him I wasn’t the only who saw it. One of the staffs of the mansion saw this and questioned him on his action. Rather rudely if I do say so. I ignored the small commotion and joined the others.

Upstairs, we were brought to the balcony where we were shown some elaborate artworks made up of pieces of colored porcelains. After that, to a small room with some artifacts and a bed. It didn’t really sparked any interests for me. It kinda looked like an old run-downed museum.





View from the balcony. Local drinking holes.








OTGA then led us to another courtyard and then, out of the mansion. Where we were told to sayonara ourselves. Well, not with those words exactly, but you get my point. My friend and I took some photographs and left. By the way, this mansion also doubles as a hotel, charging at a five star hotel rate. I couldn’t help but feel that it looked like those brothels you see in those olden Hongkie movies. Feeling disappointed, we decided to go and have a treat at the waterfalls, near the botanical garden.
I don’t know what it’s called actually. So we just called it fruit ice since it’s a combination of fruit and er…. ice. Although it looks disgusting but it tastes great and it costs only three bucks each. Overall, it saved an otherwise uneventful day.








Ugly looking fruit ice. Tastes much better than it looks







An ingenious east meets west device. A bamboo toll bar (or whatever it’s called)






















A rickshaw. How people travelled when they wanted to get to their destination faster.





















A trishaw. Basically a rickshaw with a bicycle attached.
Advantages to the occupants
- fresher air
Advantages to the trishaw peddler
- safer than a rickshaw, as he is now seated at the back and have a higher chance of survival if any accidents occurs.






1 comment: