Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hello, baby

Sitting at home with utterly nothing to do and too lazy to go anywhere, I decided to ponder “What’s missing in my life?” Do I need a new TV? How about new clothes? New underwear? Hmm… Since it was the end of the year, I could splurge with my bonus. That means it don’t have to be something dirt cheap. Then it hit me. A brand new sexy slim hand phone! Yes. With one of those new smart phones, I would be complete. I could kill hours away, just fiddling around. At the very least with this new gadget, I can play by myself instead of with myself.

Like any self professed geek would do, I Googled around for the latest phones. Checked on forums for pros and cons. Checked with friends. Checked with shops. I won’t be bragging to say that the amount of homework I did far surpassed our government’s research before making any decisions. Finally, I had my eye on the new Nokia N85. Yes, there were mentions of it being not so reliable. Having bugs here and there and being prone to freezing up. I scoffed at those unlucky bastards for getting bad sets. Not me, I’m not gonna be one of them. I refuse to think that I would be one of those in the statistics of owners of deviated phones. Anyway, very few people reported on any issues faced.

I called up a friend who owns a hand phone shop and made my order. Can’t believe my luck. I was just in time as there’s only one unit left. So he kept it for me and in a few days time, I went to collect the phone.

When I first opened up the box, I saw this black shining device, glimmering under the light of a man made fluorescent lamp. As I caressed the smooth surface of the phone, I thought “Baby, you and I will have fun together”. How I would be the envy of society. How we would go every where together and spend every waking moment next to each other. Just like having a gorgeous girlfriend. Only much cheaper and with way less bitching.

Took my new baby home and started to charge the phone overnight.










The next morning, I woke up even before the sun was up. Crawled my half asleep body to my phone and switched it on. As I waited for the booting up, my palms sweated from the anticipation. When the prompt for a password appeared, I hastily keyed it in. Then I waited. And waited. And waited. WTF? It froze? It froze up on the very first startup? That’s like getting a cramp on your very first hump. So ok, I thought to myself that “accidents” do happen. So I restarted it. And again, it froze. After a few attempts, I finally got into the main screen. The graphics were superb. Clean and crisp. So like a fat guy in an all you can eat buffet, I got greedy. I wanted more. Pressed the menu button and again, the damn thing froze. What is happening? Am I now part of the statistics which I was so sure I would not be? Am I now one of those bastards which bought a phone which would not work? If I had taken up yoga and being more flexible, I would have kicked myself right in the balls.

Having nothing better to do, I tried to scour the net, looking for others with the same dilemma as me - maybe they have a solution. Man was I shocked. Previously, my search through the net before my purchase simply consists of “N85” or “N85 features”. But this time, I added words such as “suck”, “shitty” and “crappy”. Loads and loads of websites were returned from my searches and it really got me down.

What now? What do I do with this piece of expensive technology that doesn’t work? If we weren’t in the 21st century, I could have turned it into a paper weight. But now, everything is going paperless. I calmed myself down, and went to find the friend who sold me the phone. Passed it to him, and he promised me he’ll get it fixed. Then I went home to my old phone. Now I know why men do not leave their aged, wrinkled wives. They’re dependable. Yes, good old faithful still waits for me.

A few days passed, and my friend informs me that the phone is fixed. All it needed was just a firmware upgrade. Just a firmware upgrade? Heck, that’s like a brain transplant for electronic equipments. What kind of a phone would not work on its original software? Anyway, I didn’t care, as long as my baby’s fine. So I went to collect my phone and true to my friend’s words, the phone works.

For the next few days, I was glued to my new “precious”. Fooling around with the GPS, sending messages and figuring out how to work the other nifty features packed into its tiny body. Everywhere I went, my phone went with me. Ahh.. it feels good to have something new shoved next to my left butt cheek.

1 comment:

  1. finally... u updated ur blog... haha... wif the pics too...

    ReplyDelete